How do I get a permit to carry a gun in the State of Connecticut?
In order to get a State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers you must first obtain a Local Permit. Out of state residents may apply for a non resident Connecticut State Pistol Permit. Non residents apply directly to the Connecticut State Police. Call 860-685-8494 to have an application mailed out.
How do I apply for a Local Permit (Temporary State Pistol Permit)?
You must go to the Police Department or First Selectman of the town and get the application. The application has all the instructions necessary to obtain the permit. The cost of the permit is $70.00, and it generally takes eight weeks to obtain.
What are the minimum firearms training course requirements for pistol permit applicants?
You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses. Live fire is also required. Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable. Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver. Any questions should be referred to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.
Once I have received a Local Permit, how do I apply for a State Permit?
Instructions to applicants: DPS-769-C New applicants must provide proof of being legally and lawfully in the United States, such as a birth certificate, or U.S. Passport. Legal Alien Residents must provide Alien Registration numbers and 90-day proof of residency. Naturalized citizens require proof of citizenship.
How do I change my address on my Pistol Permit?
You can either call (860) 685-8494, E-mail the information to [email protected] or mail a letter to the Department of Public Safety, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit, 1111 Country Club Rd., Middletown, CT. 06457. Change of address is required within 48 hours, and the letter should include permit number, name, date of birth, old address, and new address.
May I keep my Pistol Permit if I move out of state?
Yes, providing you notify the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit of the change of address, and continue to renew your permit.
How long is a Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers good for?
The permit is valid for 5 years from date of issue unless revoked or suspended.